In Amana Colonies by 1942 there were two sandwich shop restaurants, taking advantage of the increased traffic on paved roads. To attract tourists since the 1860's, the Colonies put up electric signs so they could be seen at night and lure people back in the day. One shop was in South Amana,(1934-1970's), now Fern Hill Gifts and at one time the South Amana General Store where it moved to from next to a corner gas station, and one was in Homestead,(1934-2001), now a AJ's Copper Garden, on the bend of the highway 6. There were several managers and store names over the years but the "Homestead Sandwich Shop and Drive In" in Homestead as it was known under the management of Bernfried H. Otte, was a popular place for locals and tourists. There was a new addition at that time. It was the small sliding window on the side of the building through which food was served or the drive up window.(1950's). The South Amana shop had visitors as Kathryn Hepburn, the Homestead one visited by Grant Wood.